Southern Rivers Energy installed its advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) between 2012-2013. These new digital meters are read using a secure wireless communication network so we no longer have to "roll a truck" to read your meter which cuts down on fuel and labor costs.
How Does it Work?
The AMI system allows you to track your usage via the member portal on the homepage or on our mobile app, giving you more control over your energy costs. The digital meters also allow us to provide a pre-pay feature called Pay-Your-Way that allows you to purchase energy before you use it, just like you buy groceries or gas when it's most convenient for you. This helps you control your budget and pay how much you want when you want. You receive alerts when your account is running low so you can easily pay online, over the phone, or at the office 24-7. Click here to learn more.
Operating more efficiently helps us keep costs down for our members.
- With data from the meters coming to our offices, we will be able to read your meter remotely. Remote meter reading and remote reconnects mean co-op employees will spend less time on the road.
- Information coming from the meters allows us to monitor the system in near real-time and correct problems and inefficiencies.
New tools for diagnosing problems and disruptions help us improve reliability for our members.
- With more detailed information about what is happening in the field, we will be able to respond faster to outages: the new meters tell us when and where there is an outage or disturbance.
- With more data, we can also improve power quality.
- More data enables us to provide more accurate information about outages and restoration times.
The AMI meters automatically report outages and allow SRE to verify whether the outage is on your side of the meter or the co-op’s side. You have the ability to view and utilize your daily energy usage data and other valuable information, which helps you determine, evaluate, and manage your monthly, daily, and even hourly electricity usage!
If you have further questions about AMI, please call our office: 770-358-1383.